Eastern towhees are great backyard feeder birds. Learn how to attract eastern towhees to your yard, and listen to their song.
Photo: Roland Jordahl
- Scientific Name: Pipilo erythrophthalmus.
- Family: Finch.
- Length: 8-1/2 inches.
- Wingspan: 10-1/2 inches.
- Distinctive Markings: Black head, back and tail with white belly, orange-red sides and red or white eyes.
- Nest: Builds nest near or on the ground. Lays three to four gray eggs speckled with brown.
- Song: Musical with a slow song, "drink your teeeeee."
- Habitat: Old pastures, woodland edges and brushy backyards.
- Diet: Insects, spiders, caterpillars, seeds, berries and small salamanders.
- Backyard Favorites: Oats or flaxseed scattered on the ground and suet.
Listen to this bird’s song