The Bullock's oriole is the western counterpart to the Baltimore oriole. Learn how to attract the Bullock's oriole to your yard, and listen to its song.
Photo: Dave Ryan
- Scientific Name: Icterus bullockii.
- Family: Blackbird.
- Length: 9 inches.
- Wingspan: 12 inches.
- Distinctive Markings: Male has a black crown, orange cheeks and large white wing patches. Female is mostly yellow with a gray back.
- Nest: Woven bag-like structure.
- Song: Short, series of nasal-like whistles.
- Habitat: Open areas with shade trees.
- Diet: Insects, citris and sugar water.
- Backyard Favorites: May be attracted to sugar-water feeders and oranges.
Listen to this bird’s song