A true icon of California, the Anna's hummingbird is the only year-round hummingbird in the United States. Learn how to attract a Baltimore oriole to your yard, and listen to its song.
Photo: Allen Chartier
- Scientific Name: Calypte anna.
- Family: Hummingbird.
- Length: 4 inches.
- Wingspan: 5-1/4 inches.
- Distinctive Markings: Adult males have iridescent red crown and throat. Females have red patch on throat and white markings over eyes.
- Nest: Made of plant down held together with spiderwebs. Females lay two white eggs, each the size of a small bean.
- Song: Call is a high sharp "stit."
- Habitat: Gardens and parks providing nectar-producing flowers and sugar-water feeders.
- Diet: Nectar, sugar water, spiders, small insects and tree sap.
- Backyard Favorite: Mix a solution of 4 parts water to 1 part sugar to attract hummingbirds to your sugar-water feeders.
Listen to this bird’s song