How to Plant Seeds
Planting seeds is easy with handmade seed pots.
Deanna Carter & Daisy Siskin
You don’t need a fancy kit or special pots to start your own seeds. All you need are some newspapers and a little tape. Then you’ll have dozens of biodegradable pots ready for your favorite plants. Here’s how to make them:
1. Take a sheet of newspaper and cut it in half and then fourths. (You might try cutting several layers at once to save time, but use only one layer per pot.)
2. Take a small round container (we used a spice jar). Roll the paper around it, leaving about an inch of overhang at one end. Don’t roll it too tightly, or it will be hard to get the jar out later.
3. Fold the overhang in, as if you were wrapping a present. Then seal with tape. (Masking tape is more biodegradable than other kinds.)
4. Remove the jar and then fold in the edges all around the top. This helps with stability and gives you a shorter pot.
5. Repeat until you have all the pots you want!